Are you always on the lookout for ways to contribute to improving the environment? Do you think recycling things should be everyone’s top priority? In this post, we will tell you why you should start with your car!
According to the Automotive Recyclers Association,approximately 95% of a vehicle's components can be recycled or reused. This includes components such as engines, transmissions, and other major parts, as well as smaller components like nuts and bolts. However, the exact percentage can vary depending on the make and model of the vehicle, as well as the specific components in question. Regardless, the high percentage of recyclable materials in vehicles makes them a prime target for recycling efforts. But ARA suggests that only around 25% of car parts in the US are currently recycled. This means that a significant amount of valuable materials and resources are being wasted, and harmful pollutants are being released into the environment.
The production of new car parts requires significant amounts of energy, which results in the release of greenhouse gas emissions. By recycling OEM parts, we can reduce the amount of energy needed to manufacture new parts and thus reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Additionally, recycling OEM parts conserves natural resources such as metal, plastic, and petroleum. The manufacturing process for car parts requires these resources, and their extraction and processing can result in environmental damage, such as deforestation, soil erosion, and water pollution. By recycling OEM parts, we can reduce the need for new resource extraction, which in turn reduces the associated environmental damage.
The production of new car parts also generates air and water pollution. Recycling OEM parts reduces the amount of pollution generated during the production of new parts, as there is less need for new parts to be manufactured. Furthermore, recycling OEM car parts reduces the amount of waste that goes to landfill. Landfill waste can result in the generation of methane gas, which is a potent greenhouse gas.
Moreover, recycling OEM parts can be more cost-effective than manufacturing new parts. This can benefit both manufacturers and consumers, as the cost of producing new parts can be high. By recycling OEM parts, we can reduce the cost of production and reduce costs for consumers.
Several materials used in car manufacturing can have negative environmental impacts. Here are some examples:
1) Petroleum-based plastics:Many car components, such as bumpers, dashboards, and seats, are made from petroleum-based plastics. The production of these plastics requires significant amounts of fossil fuels and generates greenhouse gas emissions. Additionally, these plastics can take hundreds of years to decompose in the environment, contributing to plastic pollution.
2) Metals: The extraction and processing of metals used in car manufacturing, such as steel, aluminum, and copper, can result in significant greenhouse gas emissions and other environmental impacts. The mining of these metals can also have negative impacts on local ecosystems, including soil and water contamination.
3) Rubber: The production of rubber, which is used in tires and other components, can result in deforestation and other environmental problems. The process of harvesting rubber can be harmful to the environment and can also contribute to the loss of biodiversity.
4) Lead: Lead is used in car batteries, and its production and disposal can have significant environmental impacts, including soil and water contamination. Lead is a toxic metal that can harm human health and the environment.
5) Chromium: Chromium is used in the production of stainless steel and other materials used in car manufacturing, and its production can result in significant air and water pollution.
So if we increase our use of recycled OEM parts, we can reduce the presence of these harmful materials in the environment.
At Right Choice Auto parts, we are committed to promoting environmentally friendly practices in our society. We sell a wide range of used OEM parts that keep both, our customers and the environment safe.
Discover how different types of used OEM car parts at the Right Choice Auto Parts can positively impact the environment.
1) CAR HEADLIGHTS/TAILLIGHTS
Recycling car headlights/taillights can bring several benefits to the environment, particularly in terms of reducing waste and conserving resources. The plastic components of car headlights/taillights, specifically polycarbonate plastic, can negatively impact the environment. Polycarbonate production requires significant energy and releases greenhouse gas emissions. (Shop Now)
2) DASHBOARD PARTS
The materials used in car dashboard parts can negatively affect the environment in different ways. For example, the production of plastics used in dashboard parts generates significant greenhouse gas emissions, and they can take hundreds of years to break down in the environment, contributing to plastic pollution. Additionally, some dashboard materials such as vinyl can contain phthalates, which are chemicals that have been linked to health and environmental concerns, including endocrine disruption, reproductive and developmental problems, and pollution when they are disposed of improperly. (Shop Now)
3) ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION PARTS
The production of engine and transmission parts requires the extraction and processing of raw materials, such as iron, steel, aluminum, and other metals — which can result in significant greenhouse gas emissions and other environmental impacts, such as air and water pollution. Second, the manufacturing process for engine parts is energy-intensive, requiring a significant amount of electricity, natural gas, and other forms of energy. (Shop Now)
Apart from that, the disposal of engine parts at the end of their useful life can also have environmental impacts, as many engine parts are not biodegradable and can take up space in landfills or contribute to pollution if not properly recycled.
So you can play a role in benefiting the environment and yourself too by repairing your car with used OEM parts, instead of new aftermarket parts. They are more durable, longer-lasting, and more efficient in performance. At Right Choice Auto Parts, we carry headlights, dashboard parts, engine parts, transmission parts, and much more for a wide range of car models. Visit our product section now.
Thank you for taking the time to read.
Please share it with your fellow car enthusiasts, and keep coming back to the Right Choice Auto parts blog for more exciting and informative content.
Comments will be approved before showing up.